Sensory Overload

This semester I am doing my Senior Practicum in the Emergency Department at Prince George's Hospital Center--one of the few hospitals serving the communities across the Anacostia river in DC and the near-eastern suburbs. Because I am a Second-Degree student, I only need to have 84 hours of practicum clinicals (in this case seven 12-hour shifts), so I go every other week.

Last week, I almost did more in 12 hours than I have done in all my clinicals over the last three semesters:
  • I started an IV!
  • I put in a Foley Catheter!
  • I hooked people up to 12-lead EKGs!
  • I did in-line suctioning for a patient with a tracheostomy!
  • I watched an ABG being done!
  • I saw a guy who had OD'd (and was now combative) come in and be put in four-point restraints! (a little on the morbid side, I know)
It was a good day.

Comments

Katy said…
YAY FOR MARNIE THE NURSE!
Josh said…
Does anyone ever make jokes about Dave Foley while using the eponymous catheter?

Wait -- it wasn't really named after Dave Foley, was it?
Grand Marnier said…
Sorry to disappoint Josh, but no, no one makes that joke. I think that DL004D is the only person I know that liked News Radio (unless you did too?)

Popular Posts