This is what I want to do!!

On Monday, January 9th, my 2nd Degree cohort had our first set of lectures for Nursing 050, which is the introductory nursing class that we take this semester.

The opening lecture for the day was conducted by the most charismatic, intelligent and energetic professor that I have ever had the pleasure to listen to amongst my four years in undergrad and extra year and a half taking the prereqs for this program. She was a woman who is foremost an RN, but who has gone onto get her Ph.D. because she sees that the future of nursing is changing. She works mainly in public health, and specifically with the HIV/AIDS community, and is worried about the ever-closer health care crises that this country faces both because of the aging population and the unsustainable increases in health care costs. Hospitals are closing and the primary mode of getting health care will be through community clinics.

In her inspirational speech to us, she charged us with effecting social change within the health care system. While that seems daunting as a new student, I know that it can be done, and I certainly hope to be on the front of that change!

Comments

Popular Posts