Red Pine Super Camp

"Oh listen to a story of how Red Pine began,
And how it became the best camp in the land..."

For four summers bridging my middle school and high school years growing up, I went to sleep-away camp. I learned how to water ski, sail, ride horses and be an archer. It was always the highlight of my summers.

Recently, I received news that Red Pine Camp has been sold to developers in northern Wisconsin looking to capitalize on the real estate market. After operating for 70 years, it looks like my camp is going to close. Just thinking about all the summers that both my sister and I spent learning how to be Red Pine Ladies and escaping the frenzied routine of being a tweener makes me nostalgic for a simpler time. It will be a great loss to have such a wonderful place close.

Comments

Lisa Mckinley said…
How depressing!!! And ironically, I was just talking about Red Pine Super Camp....Some friends of mine from Butler came to Chicago and we went to get Sushi. Our waitress was really nice and Ron asked her where she was from and she said Wisconsin. He said that explained the friendliness(ha ha ha)....anyhoo, I asked her where she was from and low and behold she said Minocqua!!!! I asked her if she knew of Red Pine and she said yes! How weird!!! I am really sad to know that Red Pine Camp for Girls will be no longer. I will always remember my summers there. :(
mom/Kris said…
I can't believe they're closing that wonderful camp. I was always jealous that I never got to go to it!!! I know you girls had a ball there and learned so many great things.

And all for the almighty dollar. Yuck.
Anonymous said…
Update, The camp was saved and purchased by the Pleasant Roland Foundation. Pleasant was a Red Pine alum and started the Pleasant Company (the American Girl Dolls)
Camp is once again in session and will continue hopefully for years. However, it was also stipulated that if the camp fails in the future the State will get the land for State Park use and it will never be developed.

Happy Ending...Check out their website.

Popular Posts