AKA "Peggy" the Anglophile


When I was in eighth grade, I was chosen to be on the Women's Panel. This was a group of 10 eighth-grade girls who picked famous women in history, researched them, then "became" them in a presentation that we took around to various elementary schools in my hometown. The year that I was on the panel, such women as Emmeline and Christabel Pankhurst (British suffragettes), Susan Butcher (first woman to win the Iditarod), and Indira Ghandi (first female prime minister of India) were represented. I chose Margaret Thatcher.

Looking back at Thatcher's history in British politics, the reason I picked her probably had to do with the fact that she had been mentioned in the news frequently that year--her last as the first female prime minister of England.

Apparently they are going to make a movie about the Falkland Islands debacle, and seeing as how I have experience at portraying Thatcher, I think that I should be included in the talent search.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Hey hey! The Falkland Islands have been invaded. I repeat, the Falklands have been invaded! Remain calm."
Anonymous said…
Hello Peggy-
I love your reminiscing of our 8th grade glory days-Good memory! Here is a test: Do you remember the weird bus driver named LaVern that shuttled us all over town or Nice Girls Don't Explode?!
Grand Marnier said…
I did remember the weird bus driver! And didn't we also watch "Earth Girls are Easy"? :) Ahh, the good ol' days.

David wanted to know what the boys did instead of Women's panel. He was sad to learn that they didn't do anything. Icky boys.
Josh said…
Famously described as "two bald men, fighting over a comb."
Sparrow said…
Woah! Was that really in 8th grade? I feel like I was younger when I did my smashing portrayal of Amelia Earhart. For some reason what I remember is the wood paneling in the library there where we did our rehearsals! And I have some vague memory of the lot of us hitting a McDonalds or some such still all dressed in our gear. Thanks for the loan of the great bomber jacket :)

Popular Posts