End of An Era

I took out my bellybutton ring late last night. I have wanted to take it out for a while, but I had no idea how to get the ring open. My friends at school suggested pliers. Not sure why I didn't think of that first...

In the fall of 1997 I went with my friend K.F.H. to see the Bearded Lady about getting our navels pierced. Yes, she really was a bearded lady. I was going through a bit of a rebellious period. The year before I had gotten a tattoo. In between getting the tattoo and navel piercing, I dated a guy who rode a motocycle. I wanted to be a bad-ass.

Now, let's be honest, I could never really pull off the bad-assness. My husband likes to tease me about wanting to be a bad-ass when I yell at him for walking across the grass instead of on the sidewalk. I like to remind him that he squeezed my hand much harder than I squeezed his hand when I got my tattoo.

But there it is--at age 21 I had both a tattoo and a bellybutton ring. Two facts that continued to surprise and amaze colleagues and new friends.

Until now. Now, it's just the tattoo, and that will stay with me (much to my mother's chagrin).

Comments

Popular Posts