You like me, you really like me!

I have worked at my present job for a little over a year--enough time to learn all the idiosyncracies of a large association, but not long enough to know all 350 people that I work with.

I will be leaving my job for grad school at the end of this month (since school begins on January 3rd), and everyone that I have run into in the hallway this week has mentioned wanting to take me to lunch.

It's been interesting comparing this to leaving the non-profit that employed me for three years. I saw the organization through ups and downs (albeit more downs than ups), established relationships with our affiliates, and effected organizational change through several publications. Yet the response to my leaving my current job (one in which I have done very little except hone my talent--or lack thereof--in completing crossword puzzles) has been amazingly different to when I left my prior job.

What do I make of this? Are the people at my conservative Washington association nicer? Were the people at the non-profit overworked, more concerned about money, time, various audits from the federal Department that awarded them a $7 million grant? Or did I just make a better impression on the people here?

Beats me, but I am looking forward to lunch!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Or maybe it's because now you have your all-powerful blog, which they fear will expose their dirty secrets. So they need to buy your silence. :)
dl004d said…
A good crossword puzzle player is worth at least a fancy sandwhich.

Popular Posts