Snow Day

One thing that I really miss living in DC: real snow. I mean the kind that comes down in multiple inch amounts, accumulates and stays on the ground for more than a day before becoming crusty, icy slush.

I don't like being cold very much, so I tend to bundle up even in the (balmy for Wisconsin) 35 degree winter weather that we have here in the Mid-Atlantic. But I really miss snow--the kind that you can go skiing on, sledding on, have snow-ball fights with, build forts out of; the kind that hushes the everyday sounds of traffic; the kind that reflects the sun on a cloudless day making your eyes hurt because the world is so bright, and reflects a full moon at night making it bright enough to see without a light; the kind that covers the world in white as if the dull browns of fall need to be forgotten and covered up in anticipation of the renewal of spring.

I am not terribly good at any sports. That said, there are some sports that I enjoy quite a bit: swimming, volleyball, biking, hiking and skiing--both downhill and cross-country.

All but the last I can do (and have done) here in DC. But skiing... It seems like the longer I live in a place with no immediate ski areas, the more I miss it.

Anyone up for a roadtrip this winter to catch some powder? (or man-made snow as the case may be?)

Comments

Josh said…
Cary Bradshaw once said, "I learned something about hiking: it's just walking."

And, yes, I just quoted Sex in the City.
dl004d said…
My definition of sports involves athletic competition determined by a scoreboard or stopwatch, rather than by a judge.

Thus, skiing could be a sport but gymnastics is not.

Obviously, this definition allows for bowling to be a sport despite objections from my critics who say any activity in which your score can go up as you get drunk should not be a sport.
Grand Marnier said…
Ahh, bowling. I forgot to add that to my list. Although my definition of a sport is something in which one burns lots of calories and gains some sort of physical benefit (hiking gives one killer calves, for instance).

I realize that I have just opened up myself to ridicule...
Anonymous said…
Poetic, you are!
Nice description and I agree. although mostly i like to look at it from inside!
Sparrow said…
For what it's worth, Wisconsin isn't so good for the snow at the moment either!

Popular Posts