Ethical Dilemna

The other night I was taking care of a Vietnamese patient who had just had a c-section as I came on my shift. As opposed to when I admit a patient to Labor & Delivery, attend the delivery and then recover her from the birth, all I had to do was recover this particular patient from her c-section for an hour, then transfer her to the Mother-Baby unit. During the recovery, her mother approached me with her hand extended to thank me for my work. As I shook her hand, I realized that she was slipping me money. I tried to hand it back and tell her that I couldn't accept it, but neither she nor her daughter spoke a word of English, and she adamantly refused to take the money back.

At the nurses' station, I opened my hand and saw that it was $20!

I knew this was an ethics violation (we can't accept monetary gifts!), but there was nothing I could do.

Am I now going to be known as the nurse who needs to be paid off for good care?

Comments

Chameleon Man said…
Does your hospital have a policy for dealing with unsolicited gifts? I'd be surprised if this is the first time something like this happened.
SKBK said…
Maybe you could use it to by her flowers. :)

(I'm sure the hospital has an ethics committee that could advise you, though.)
Grand Marnier said…
No, I am sure this is not the first time anyone has been offered a monetary gift, and had the mother or the patient have spoken English I would have gladly explained why I couldn't accept the money. (As for gifts, we get non-monetary gifts all the time--food, lotion, etc.)

The hospital does have an ethics committee, and I am sure that there is a policy on our intranet somewhere, but we couldn't find it at 4 am on a Saturday morning.
Josh said…
Don't hospitals take donations? I mean, even front people whose names don't go on the building or random pavilions?
Anonymous said…
Try buying everyone donuts. That always works out well! (unless everyone in your unit is on a diet...)
Grand Marnier said…
yes, generally hospitals do take donations, but again, trying to find who/where/when to give that money to(that, truth be told, would probably go to the administrative fees for running the hospital's foundation) at 4 am was impossible.

As for the donuts--that is TOTALLY what I should have done!

As it happened though, it paid for several lunches while I was at work.

Popular Posts