Six Months Redux

I have been an RN now for a little over six months, and off orientation for almost four of those. It's been a turbulent, exhausting, exhilarating time. Here are a few highlights:
  • I have gotten over the terror of starting IVs, and can throw in an 18-gauge needle into almost anyone's arm
  • I have survived my first "OB Code 1" (what my hospital calls an emergency c-section)
  • I have had patients who have pushed for more than 2 hours to deliver a baby and patients who have pushed for less than 10 seconds--the quickest being the woman who basically did an abdominal crunch to birth her baby
  • I have questioned a young MD-in-training on her recommendation for more drugs and been right
  • I have witnessed the heartache and sadness when parents lose an infant
  • I have seen a teenage mother fall in love in front of my eyes
  • I know what a cervix feels like and how to find it
  • I have had my first fainting father
  • I have begun to feel slightly more competent in my job
It's still sometimes overwhelming to go to work, but so far I am really enjoying my new career!

Comments

Anonymous said…
When you say you "can throw in an 18-gauge needle into almost anyone's arm," do you mean you can literally throw it, like a dart? Because that would be pretty cool.

Popular Posts