It's Mango Time!



DEWEY, Culebra -- Almost every house on Culebra has a mango tree in its front yard. I love mangoes. I spent the entire time while we were on the island pining after fresh mangoes (they're not sold in the local markets since everyone has them anyway). One early evening as David and I were walking around town, we came upon a tree that was located in an abandoned lot and hung over the sidewalk. As you can see above, he was just able to jump and pick one for me. (I think that he had grown weary of me saying "Oh look--there's another mango tree!")

Unfortunately, the mango that David had picked was as hard as a rock. A couple of local Culebra women were sitting on their front porch watching this unfold. After David was successful in his picking they motioned us over and gave us two ripe mangoes. They laughed when we tried to pay them for the mangoes--afterall, they had a whole tree to themselves. Below is David's mango on the left, and one of the ripe mangoes on the right (I had eaten one by the time we took this picture).

Comments

Popular Posts