To Kiss or Not to Kiss

I saw Pride and Prejudice this weekend--once with my aunt, uncle and cousin in New Jersey, and the next night by myself in DC since D. is out of town and refuses to see "period films where people wear costumes."

I read Jane Austen's novel for the first time in college I think. It quickly became one of my favorite books. When the BBC produced a 6 hour miniseries of the same name, I hungrily watched all 6 hours, then borrowed my boyfriend's mother's VHS tape to watch it again. This comprehensive version is almost a literal translation from book to screen of the story, and features Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy (a role he would reprise in Bridget Jones's Diary, the modern adaptation of Ms. Austen's novel).

The newest version, while considerably shorter, does not dissapoint. It hits all the major plot lines, has beautiful costumes and scenery.

It also has one of the most sexy, romantic non-kiss kisses that I have ever seen on screen.

So my challenge to you, dear reader, is to come up with what you think is the most romantic moment on the silver screen that you can think of, and let me know. I know I have my winner.

Comments

Josh said…
When the bat boy gives Roy Hobbes his bat. You know, after Wonderboy breaks. That's love.
dl004d said…
I can't possibly have refused to see all costume films. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen "Cold Mountain." Or "Shakespeare in Love." Or "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

You get the point.
Grand Marnier said…
Yes, but you only saw "Shakespeare in Love" after you got me the DVD for Christmas, and I made you watch it with me. And I bet that you were over-ruled by your parents when you went to see "Cold Mountain."

By the way--all movies made feature costumes. What you are really objecting to are "period films."
Josh said…
I was about to cheer on Marnier and then it dawned on me that all movies also have a time period in which they are set. Thus, they are all period pieces, as well.

I'm not trying to be difficult.
dl004d said…
I can't think of a Most Romantic Moment -- and remember, I've never seen "Gone With The Wind" or "Titanic" -- but here are some kiss scenes I remember:

+ When Harry Met Sally (the New Years Eve kiss)
+ The Princess Bride (the Buttercup/Westley kiss)
+ In & Out (the Tom Selleck/Kevin Kline kiss)
+ Cruel Intentions (Sarah Michelle Geller teaching Selma Blair how to kiss)
+ Cold Mountain (Jude Law kissing Nicole Kidman before going off to war)
Grand Marnier said…
Yes, I disagree as well.

Popular Posts